As a 25+ year homeowner of both an older and then a new home, the following are general considerations you should consider when evaluating whether it’s time to replace your existing windows. And if so, how best to choose the right window company.
Window Replacement Considerations:
- Efficiency – are you paying too much for heating and cooling? Instead, how much could you be saving with new energy efficient windows?
- Aesthetics – what value may be potentially gained on future home resale based on keeping contemporary with home trends?
- Cracking – do you have cracked or cracking glass, wood, and/or window seals?
- Moisture – do you have moisture starting to creep into- or building up- in your window panes?
- Strength – will your windows continue to hold up in future rainstorms, hailstorms, and/or high winds?
- Age – how old are your windows? Most of the previous issues and questions arise from the age of your windows. Most home experts recommend replacing windows after about 20 years due to continual technological advancements for better windows as well as the list of issues stated above that can happen over time to your home’s windows.
Window Company Considerations:
- A manufacturer who is also an installer may be able to provide greater overall marketplace expertise especially in the coordination and installation process.
- It may be best to seek a company that offers choices in various window product types (good, better, best lineup), dimensions, and sizes.
- Look for warranties on both the product and installation service.
- Look for longevity of company operation and time in the overall market.
- Seek out those who can service your local community.
- Seek referrals and online positive reviews.
- If may be of value to you if the company offers financing options.
All said, consider wisely in window replacement decision-making as it is a long-term decision and a cost, yet it can provide annual savings, home appreciation, neighborhood aesthetics, peace of mind, and comfort for homeowners! And feel free to share this information to help guide family and friends who are either in the market, are potentially considering replacement, or to those who should be in the market.
#replacementwindows #homeimprovement #energyefficiency